The best thing about curry is its versatility. It goes without saying that curry is the perfect dish to re-imagine….over and over and over again. Because it is different every time, I love it even more. I love that I can basically empty the vegetable drawer and come up with something incredible. Also, one day it is so spicy it makes me sweat, other times it just makes my nose run. Clearly it is not a dish to cook on a first date–“Excuse me while I use the same napkin to wipe my beady forehead and blow my leaking nose.” Aside from these minor technicalities, it is perfect.
- chicken breastschopped into cubes
- carrots chopped matchstick style (I think the technical term is “julienne”)
- celery stalks chopped
- red and yellow pepper sliced lengthwise
- jalapeno pepper, matchstick style
- a healthy handful of snow peas
- a few cloves of garlic chopped finely
- bamboo shoots
- coconut milk
- red curry paste
- enough cooked rice to feed your crew
- After sauteeing the chopped chicken, throw all of the veggies (except for the peas) in too. Cook until tender.
- Make a well and pour in the coconut milk.
- Plop in your red curry paste.
- Slowly incorporate.
- Add the peas.
- Serve on top of rice.
- Wipe sweat and blow nose if necessary.