Tonight we made a creamy (and healthy!!...an oxymoron, I know) dip to precede a shredded chicken, bean, and tortilla pie. Who would have imagined that plain Greek yogurt mixed with some refried beans and a whole host of spices would be delicious? If you are questioning this flavor profile, you have to make it. As for the ingredients for the pie--shredded chicken, beer, corn, beans, onions, spices, and cilantro, not to mention the cheesy blanket on top--its potential for deliciousness was a no brainer.
The perfect comfort food on a cold night after a long day of skiing? Absolutely. Insert your beverage of choice, a cute dog (who rivals the cute boyfriend in shagginess), a comfy couch, and no morning alarm clock and you have the perfect recipe for a wonderful night.
- 1 cup or so fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup or so refried beans
- 1/2 cup or so of your favorite salsa (we didn't have any salsa that was actually edible, e.g., expiration date of early last month, so we used about 1/3 cup of green taco sauce and a number of glugs of Tapatio)
- to taste: cumin, cayenne, chili powder, onion powder
- Throw it all in a bowl, mix together, and tweak to your liking.
- Yes, it is that simple.
Inspired by Martha Stewart's Tortilla Pie
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (10 inches)
- 2 cans of black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- a substantial amount of Mexican blend cheese or cheddar cheese
- a dollop of olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1 beer (we used a Corona)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- to taste: cumin, cayenne, and chili powder
- cilantro to taste
- a twist of lime
- Use the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan to cut the tortillas to fit.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook and shred chicken.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and other seasonings.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add beans and beer, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in shredded chicken, corn, scallions, lime, and cilantro and turn heat to low.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning. (In my world, this means add a whole bunch more spice.)
- Fit a trimmed tortilla in bottom of the springform pan.
- Layer with the bean and chicken mixture to your liking, then sprinkle on cheese.
- Repeat three times, and cover with as much cheese as your cholesterol and calorie intake can bare.
- Cover and bake for 10-12 minutes or so. Then uncover and bake until cheese melts, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove side of pan.
- To serve, slice into wedges. Sprinkle pie with cilantro and sour cream