The highlight of last night's dinner, however, wasn't the piper, the fine wine, the exceptional dinner, or even the great company. No, my favorite thing about the evening was the salted caramel frozen yogurt I had at Pinkberry afterwards. Salty, sweet, tart, and tangy. I could have stuck my head under the machine and consumed it right from the source.
It was so good it needed to be re-imagined today. And I am happy to report that my version was equally as incredible (and an awful lot cheaper!). I am both happy and sad to know that I can make this treat--happy because it is delicious, sad because I will most likely eat far more of it than is really socially (and healthily...did I just make up a word?) acceptable. Next time I am going to throw in some chocolate.
The Best Fro Yo Ever:
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 packet of plain gelatin
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 quart vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup fat free half-and-half
- Pour milk in a saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin on top and let stand for a minute or so.
- Heat milk and gelatin until smooth.
- Stir in sugar and cook until dissolved.
- Turn off heat.
- Add yogurt and mix until smooth. Do the same with the half-and-half.
- When everything is completely blended, pour into ice cream maker.
- Mix until thickened, 25-30 minutes or so.
- Serve with a cookie. Pour caramel, chocolate, or nuts on top. Mix with fruit. Eat it plain. Whatever you choose to do, you will not be disappointed.
- Try to share, but if you want to eat the whole thing by yourself, that's fine too because it is healthy.