Recently, there have been many recipes floating around cyberspace regarding brownies titled with a term used to describe women in a very derogatory fashion. You know the term that might be uttered towards a woman wearing a slinky dress, high heels, big hair, and bad makeup. Since I don’t like that word, I am not going to use it. I am going to call my version “Prima Donna Brownies” instead. That sounds far more sophisticated and aptly describes the delicious treats–fancy and refined with a little surprise. They could also be titled “Woman in a Black Dress Brownies” or “Marilyn Monroe Brownies”, but I’ll stick with Prima Donna.
For as tasty as these are and as complicated as they look, it would be easy to assume they would be difficult and time consuming to make. Don’t be intimidated my friends. They are very simple and come together in a flash.
Take these to a get together with your girlfriends. Don’t share with boys unless they are really nice and promise to treat you to something in return. Most importantly, don’t even for one second feel guilty about eating one (or three)–we deserve it!!
Prima Donna Brownies: Chocolate Chip, Oreo Brownies
I was inspired by a number of pictures, but used my favorite chocolate chip cookie and brownie recipes.
For the Cookie Dough
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended.
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla.
- Blend in the flour mixture.
- Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Set aside
For the Oreo Layer:
- One package of the Oreo’s of your liking. I used reduced fat–for what reason, I am not sure. I bet double-stuffed would be incredible. I only had four cookies left after layering, so be careful not to eat too many while you are cooking.
For the Brownies:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Melt the butter.
- In a mixing bowl, mix sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Mix in butter. (Be careful not to scramble your eggs.)
- Slowly add in the cocoa powder, the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Set aside.
- Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick tinfoil.
- Layer most of the cookie dough on the bottom of the pan. (I tried a spatula and a butter knife but ended up using my fingers.) The layer should be about an inch thick.
- Reserve the remaining cookie dough to be used to (eat) or make cookies with.
- Layer as many Oreos that will fit on top of the cookie dough. No need to overlap. One single layer will do.
- Pour the brownie batter on top of the Oreo layer and make sure it is evenly layered on top.
- Bake for 30ish minutes. Test with a toothpick to see if the center is done. DO NOT OVERBAKE!
- Let the whole show cool for a bit before cutting and serving. (This will be a difficult task.)
- Share with your girlfriends.