I can honest to goodness count on one finger the number of times I have actually enjoyed lamb--that being last night. We made garlic-ginger-soy glazed lamb lollipops with a mint green goddess sauce. The lollipops were grilled perfectly, which resulted in a juicy bite with a hint of sweetness. The green goddess sauce complemented the bold flavor of the lamb while not overpowering it at all as a result of the marriage of mint with cilantro, green onions, and pistachios.
Although I must admit that I will probably only eat lamb once a year on Easter, but at least I know I have a delicious flavor framework to work with.
Lamb Lollipops with Mint Green Goddess Sauce:
Heavily inspired by my dear friend Martha
For the Lamb Lollipops:
- 2-3 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh peeled ginger
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- a number of turns on the mill of cracked black pepper
- 6 to 8 lamb chops, frenched and completely trimmed (I left this job to the Bunny)
- In a medium bowl, mix together garlic, ginger, soy sauce, olive oil, and pepper.
- Place lamb chops in a large ziploc plastic bag and add the garlic-ginger-soy mixture.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes, but ideally longer, up to overnight.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Remove lamb chops from marinade, wiping off any excess and place on grill.
- Grill, rotating lamb chops 1/2 turn after 1 minute.
- Continue grilling until cross-hatch marks form, about 1 minute more.
- Flip lamb chops and repeat process on opposite side.
- Transfer chops to a warm plate and let stand 3 to 5 minutes before serving with dipping sauce.
- 3-4 scallions, loosely chopped
- 1 small bunch of cilantro
- 1 small little plastic container thing of mint--remove all the leaves
- a palmful (probably about 1/4 cup) of shelled pistachios
- 1/3 cupish of white balsalmic vinegar (normal balsamic would work, but would turn your sauce and unsightly funky color)
- about 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Throw loosely chopped scallions, cilantro, mint leaves, pistachios, and vinegar in the food processor.
- As you are pulsing, add olive in a steady stream through the top.
- Pulse until your desired pureed consistency.
- Adjust for taste.
- Serve with the lamb lollipops.