Maybe it is the change of seasons, but the creative juices in the Owl’s Nest have certainly been flowing lately. I think it is the Alaskan urge to be really, really productive during the very, very few months where we wake up and the sun is shining and go to sleep (18 hours later) and the sun is still shining. A complete garage renovation and shelf installation project started it off a few weeks ago, and the creative productivity train has kept on cruising. My overarching creative mission for the summer is to learn to take really good photos (as seen on every other food blog but this one) to give appropriate credit to the incredible flavors and tastes to the foods highlighted. My secondary creative mission is to invent recipes from scratch far more often than I do currently.
Well, I gave a shot to both of those missions with these tasty little bites of heaven. I know for certain that I achieved the second mission, but the jury is still out on the first. (Tangent: Thirty of our secondary students are finishing the last three weeks of the school year with a photography intensive where they get to exclusively study…you guessed it…photography. I have learned more in the last 24 hours about aperture, ISO, f-stops, shutter speed, perspective, contrast, shadows, light, and more than I ever imagined possible. I love my school!)
Because the other one that lives here was traveling to Boston and New York–my two favorite cities–without me, I wanted to send him with a delicious baked good to savor and enjoy. I knew it needed to be able to travel well, so cheesecake, pie, and cupcakes were obviously out. As a result, I arrived at cookies as a viable option. From there, I decided I needed something soft, yet chewy, and non-standard. The Result = Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies.
I have never created my own baked good recipe before for fear of chemical explosions in the oven. I will not be shy, however, when I openly admit that my first attempt was a wild success. The east coast traveler texted the following, “Holy hell. These cookies give Otis and Mrs. Fields a run for their money.” Victory!!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies:
Invented by yours truly…
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 package of vanilla pudding mix (3.4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and milk. Mix to combine.
- Add the vanilla pudding mix and combine.
- Add, but don’t mix the cocoa powder.
- Sift together the flower, baking soda, and salt.
- With your mixer on low, slowly add the sifted dry goods to the bowl. Mix until just combined.
- Mix in the peanut butter chips.
- Form into tablespoonish sized balls and place a little bit apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, until just set.
- Remove and place on rack to cool.
- Otis and Mrs. Fields, eat your heart out.
sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. slowly add to the bowl and slowly mix to combine. add the peanut butter chips.