This curried rice and pea salad certainly hits the mark--and it is (moderately....ok, barely) healthy. I mean, it has peas! The slight crunch of the rice and vermicelli partnered with the pop of the peas, all blended together with curry, green onions, and Greek yogurt make for a perfect summertime side dish. Making it ahead of time to let the flavors marry means for less stress and more fun before heading to your bbq. This is a unique and tasty side dish that won't disappoint and will have your friends begging for the recipe.
Easy, original, and flavorful--nothing else needs to be said.
Curried Rice and Pea Salad:
- 1 box of lower sodium Rice-a-Roni, chicken flavor
- 1 1/2ish cups, frozen peas
- 2 or 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- a tablespoon or so of curry powder
- plain Greek yogurt, enough to coat
- a heaping tablespoon, mayonnaise (optional)
- Cook the Rice-a-Roni according to the package directions, including adding the seasoning package.
- Move to a bowl or plastic container and refrigerate until cool.
- Cook the frozen peas until just tender, then strain and run under cold water until very cool.
- Once the rice mixture and the peas are cool, combine the two in a medium mixing bowl. Add the diced green onions. Mix well.
- Add a tablespoon or so of curry powder.
- Add two or so heaping tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt.
- Mix to combine.
- Taste and add more curry powder if you want. Add more Greek yogurt, if needed to reach your desired consistency--certainly enough to moisten (or a little mayonnaise, if you choose).
- Serve with you favorite bbq items!