I am not one for potato or pasta salad, namely because they generally involve red onions, which I HATE. However, there is something to be said about a cold, crunchy, chewy, flavorful, and hearty carbohydrate-filled, calorie-laden, and guilt-inducing side dish at a summer bbq.
This curried rice and pea salad certainly hits the mark–and it is (moderately….ok, barely) healthy. I mean, it has peas! The slight crunch of the rice and vermicelli partnered with the pop of the peas, all blended together with curry, green onions, and Greek yogurt make for a perfect summertime side dish. Making it ahead of time to let the flavors marry means for less stress and more fun before heading to your bbq. This is a unique and tasty side dish that won’t disappoint and will have your friends begging for the recipe.
Easy, original, and flavorful–nothing else needs to be said.
Curried Rice and Pea Salad:
- 1 box of lower sodium Rice-a-Roni, chicken flavor
- 1 1/2ish cups, frozen peas
- 2 or 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- a tablespoon or so of curry powder
- plain Greek yogurt, enough to coat
- a heaping tablespoon, mayonnaise (optional)
- Cook the Rice-a-Roni according to the package directions, including adding the seasoning package.
- Move to a bowl or plastic container and refrigerate until cool.
- Cook the frozen peas until just tender, then strain and run under cold water until very cool.
- Once the rice mixture and the peas are cool, combine the two in a medium mixing bowl. Add the diced green onions. Mix well.
- Add a tablespoon or so of curry powder.
- Add two or so heaping tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt.
- Mix to combine.
- Taste and add more curry powder if you want. Add more Greek yogurt, if needed to reach your desired consistency–certainly enough to moisten (or a little mayonnaise, if you choose).
- Serve with you favorite bbq items!