After our “Food and Drinking Tour” or the greater northwest, we are back on track to eating healthy all the time. (Well, most of the time.) With that in mind, including as many vegetables as possible into a meal is again a priority. I. Love. Veggies. All of them. Particularly when I cram as many different varieties as possible into one dish.
Insert: Loaded Veggie Pie (with chicken). This delicious treat included TEN different kinds of vegetables. Add some Italian seasoning, rosemary, thyme, sage, pepper, some chicken, and a dusting of romano cheese and the result is INCREDIBLE! So easy, so versatile, so fresh, so delicious, so healthy. An absolute (guilt-free) favorite!!
|Veggies before spices and chicken.
|Filling–fully spiced, with chicken, and ready to go.
|After baking…can’t WAIT to eat.
Loaded Veggie Pie with Chicken:
This pie is destined to be delicious with whatever combination of veggies and spices sound good to you. I’ll tell you what I did this time, but honestly, I have never made it exactly the same way twice.
- half an onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large yukon gold potato cut into smaller pieces
- 2 cooked cobs of corn with the kernels sliced off
- about 1 cup of broccoli, cut into smallish pieces
- half a zucchini, cut into small slices and then cut in half
- half a yellow zucchini squash, cut the same was as the zucchini
- 2 cans of low sodium diced tomatoes in water (again, our fresh tomatoes are awful)
- 1 cup of mushrooms, diced
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 2ish tablespoons of Italian seasoning
- 1ish tablespoons each of dried thyme, rosemary, and sage
- a healthy few dashes of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated romano cheese to put on top
- 1 pie crust
- Saute the onions, pepper, and garlic in a (very) large nonstick skillet with a bit of olive oil.
- Add the zucchini and the zucchini squash.
- Cook until until a little bit more tender.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, potatoes, and broccoli.
- Cover and simmer.
- While the veggies are sauteing, cook the chicken pieces in another skillet. Heat a touch of olive oil and add the chicken pieces. Rotate regularly until all the pieces are cooked through. Once cooked, set aside until ready to incorporate into the veggies.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Put your pie crust in a pie dish.
- Once the veggies are almost entirely cooked, add the mushrooms.
- At the same time, add the spices.
- Add the chicken. Let cook for a minute or two.
- Taste and adjust the spices for flavor.
- When the filling is perfect for your palette, pour as much as will fit into the pie crust. Dust with romano cheese.
- Cook until the crust is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve with more romano cheese.
- SO GOOD!