Insert: Loaded Veggie Pie (with chicken). This delicious treat included TEN different kinds of vegetables. Add some Italian seasoning, rosemary, thyme, sage, pepper, some chicken, and a dusting of romano cheese and the result is INCREDIBLE! So easy, so versatile, so fresh, so delicious, so healthy. An absolute (guilt-free) favorite!!
|Veggies before spices and chicken.|
|Filling--fully spiced, with chicken, and ready to go.|
|After baking...can't WAIT to eat.|
Loaded Veggie Pie with Chicken:
This pie is destined to be delicious with whatever combination of veggies and spices sound good to you. I'll tell you what I did this time, but honestly, I have never made it exactly the same way twice.
- half an onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large yukon gold potato cut into smaller pieces
- 2 cooked cobs of corn with the kernels sliced off
- about 1 cup of broccoli, cut into smallish pieces
- half a zucchini, cut into small slices and then cut in half
- half a yellow zucchini squash, cut the same was as the zucchini
- 2 cans of low sodium diced tomatoes in water (again, our fresh tomatoes are awful)
- 1 cup of mushrooms, diced
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 2ish tablespoons of Italian seasoning
- 1ish tablespoons each of dried thyme, rosemary, and sage
- a healthy few dashes of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated romano cheese to put on top
- 1 pie crust
- Saute the onions, pepper, and garlic in a (very) large nonstick skillet with a bit of olive oil.
- Add the zucchini and the zucchini squash.
- Cook until until a little bit more tender.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, potatoes, and broccoli.
- Cover and simmer.
- While the veggies are sauteing, cook the chicken pieces in another skillet. Heat a touch of olive oil and add the chicken pieces. Rotate regularly until all the pieces are cooked through. Once cooked, set aside until ready to incorporate into the veggies.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Put your pie crust in a pie dish.
- Once the veggies are almost entirely cooked, add the mushrooms.
- At the same time, add the spices.
- Add the chicken. Let cook for a minute or two.
- Taste and adjust the spices for flavor.
- When the filling is perfect for your palette, pour as much as will fit into the pie crust. Dust with romano cheese.
- Cook until the crust is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve with more romano cheese.
- SO GOOD!