Up first is a delightfully delicious chipotle pepper and chickpea spread. It has quite a kick! It was great all by itself; was even better on carrots; fantastic on cornmeal-crusted chicken; and phenomenal on sauteed zucchini, squash, leeks, and onions with Italian seasoning (both to be blogged about shortly).
This spread is very much from the hummus family and can certainly be used as such, but to me it was more of a spread. The combination of chickpeas, jalapenos, chipotle peppers in adobo, roasted red peppers, garlic, cumin, and paprika is heavenly. Perfectly spicy enough to make a mark, but not overwhelming to the point of discomfort. Each of the flavors perfectly enhance the best qualities of the other ingredients. This spread will be used time and time again in our house in many different capacities. Delicious...AND HEALTHY!
Chipotle and Chicpea Spread:
- 2 cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3ish roasted red peppers (I used mine from a jar and they were great)
- 1 tablespoon of diced jalapenos (adjusted more or less for heat preference)
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (again, adjusted for heat...these babies are hot)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons of cumin
- 1-2 tablespoons of paprika
- a little bit of olive oil to moisten everything
- Throw all of the ingredients except for the olive oil in a food processor. Pulse on high a few times until everything starts to combine.
- Add a little bit of olive oil. Pulse some more. Add some more olive oil if needed and continue pulsing until the spread is your desired consistency.
- Adjust for taste if necessary.
- Serve with carrots, celery, and sliced peppers; chicken; fish; veggies; just about anything...