Wheat pasta very lightly coated in basil-infused olive oil; asparagus tossed with a tiny bit of salt and pepper and olive oil; fresh chicken with balsamic vinegar, rosemary, thyme, and a splash of olive oil; and freshly grated parmesan cheese. That's all it takes.
Not only is this good for busy weeknights, but it would also be great the night before long runs. (Remember when I ran marathons? Fast? And qualified for Boston? Twice?....I don't, sadly.) Yes, this is the perfect training meal too. 2012 will mark the first year in many that I have not run a marathon (or more) in. Maybe I should stop cooking/baking and start running again. Better yet, I should go back to the days of doing both. Resolution set. :)
Tangents aside, this meal is awesome. Perfectly fresh, tasty, hot, and quick. You'll love it.
Pasta with Balsamic Chicken and Asparagus
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- a glug or two of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 4 or 5 healthy glugs of balsamic vinegar
- about 1 tablespoon of rosemary (maybe more...I don't measure well)
- about 1 tablespoon of thyme (again, I am not really sure...I like to dump, not measure)
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into smaller pieces...and a little bit of olive oil
- 1/2ish pound of wheat spaghetti
- a light coating of basil-infused olive oil
- paremesan cheese, grates
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Snap the tough ends off the asparagus and discard them. Cut the spears into 1-inch pieces.
- Put the asparagus on a baking sheet lined with nonstick tinfoil and toss with the glug of extra virgin olive oil and a little bit of salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Roast until tender, about 10 minutes.
- At the same time, add the chicken pieces, balsamic, rosemary, thyme, and little bit of olive oil to a tagine or to a saute pan. Cook over medium until the chicken is juicy and completely done.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling, salted water until just done.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the basil-infused olive oil.
- Top with the chicken and asparagus.
- Serve with additional Parmesan.