Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes:
Loosely inspired from this recipe.
For the Cupcakes…
- 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoonof vanilla extract
- 2 cups of flour
- 3/4 cup (heaping) of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
For the Frosting…
- 4 ounces of 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup better, softened
- 3-5ish cups of powdered sugar (depends on your consistency preference)
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoons of milk
To Make the Cupcakes…
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your preferred size muffin tin with liners–my favorite are the mini-sized.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs, pumpkin, salt, vanilla, and pumpkin spice until blended.
- Turn off the mixer and add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Turn your mixer on to the lowest speed until things begin to combine, then turn the speed up.
- Blend until smooth.
- Fill a gallon-sized ziploc bag with the batter. Cut a centimeter-ish wide hole in one of the corners of the bag.
- “Pipe” the batter 3/4 of the way full into the lined muffin tins.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. This will vary based on the size of your muffin tins. At 15 minutes, I would start to keep a very close eye on them.
- Cool on a wire rack.
To Make the Frosting…
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the milk and again beat until fluffy.
- Add the pumpkin spice.
- Add the sugar, about a cup at a time.
- Beat on high until your desired consistency is reached.
- Fill a gallon-sized ziploc bag with the frosting. Cut a centimeter-ish wide hole in one of the corners of the bag.
- “Pipe” the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Lightly cover with sprinkles if you want.
Beat cream cheese and sugar then add powdered sugar pumpkin pie spice and milk and mix until fully blended together and fluffy.