A few days ago, I delineated all the reasons why I love pasta and basil infused olive oil. That to die for turkey bolognese was taken to a different stratosphere of awesome and delicious in the form of braided spaghetti bread. Yes, you read that correctly. Homemade bread braided around spaghetti with bolognese. I ate it for the first dinner in the decade of my 30s and shared it with many of those I love most. I can’t believe we haven’t thought of this before!
Yes, it is as good as it sounds. And very easy. I can’t wait to try this again with all kinds of fillings!
Braided Spaghetti Bread
- 6 tablespoons of warm water (about 110 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon of packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons of nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- a heaping tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- about a 2 cups of your leftover spaghetti and turkey bolognese
- grated parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients (water, sugar, yeast, and flour). Stir well and set aside to proof for about 10 minutes. It will look be cloudy and poofy when ready.
- After the yeast mixture is done proofing, pour it into the bowl for your stand mixer along with the milk, butter, egg, sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix to combine using the paddle attachment.
- Slowly add the flour and to the bowl and mix to combine until the dough is rough and flaky.
- Switch to your dough hook attachment.
- Knead until the dough is soft and smooth–about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Place the needed dough into a bowl that has been lightly sprayed with Pam.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a very light towel and allow to rise for 30 to 60 minutes and the dough is puffy and nearly doubled.
- Gently deflate the dough and roll it out onto a very-well floured counter. Roll into a rectangle that is no longer than the cookie sheet you are going to use.
- Transfer your rectangle to a sil-pat or a piece of parchment paper. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!
- With your hand, lightly press a dent down the dough lengthwise, dividing the dough into three columns, with the middle column being a little bigger than the sides.
- Spread the leftover spaghetti and turkey bolognese.
- Leave the top and bottom two inches of the dough free from filling.
- Cut one-inch strips down each of the side columns to use as the “strands” of the braid. Make sure that there are an even number on each side.
- Remove the four corner segments of the dough so it looks like a tic-tac-toe board with the center row filled in.
- To braid the bread, alternate sides of the strips and fold them over the spaghetti and sauce.
- Transfer the sil-pat or parchment paper with the bread to your cookie sheet.
- Let sit for 30 minutes or so.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Revel in your culinary amazingness.