These "breadsticks" truly taste like something straight out of your favorite Italian restaurant, but without the guilt--perfectly seasoned, equally "doughy" and crispy, and a hint of cheese. We served them with the butternut squash spaghetti the other night. I can't wait to experiment with turning these little tasty guys into a lasagna of sorts, make them spicy, or turn them into curried bites to serve with Indian food.
Don't let the broccoli and cauliflower scare you. These "breadsticks" are fantastic!
Cauliflower and Broccoli "Breadsticks"
Inspired from this recipe.
- 1/4 head of a large head of cauliflower
- 1/2 head of broccoli
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large egg
- 4-6 ounces of lowfat mozzarella cheese (we used light sting cheese because that's what we had in the house and it worked just fine)
- about a teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- a few dashes of crushed red pepper flakes
- a hint of salt and pepper
- Prehead the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- "Bread crumb" the broccoli and cauliflower by grating on the smallest side of your cheese grater. You should end up with about 2 cups of "crumbs".
- Put the "crumbs" in a bowl and microwave until softened, about 6 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- While the "crumbs" are cooking, heat a little olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the garlic until fragrant. This should take about a minute--it goes real fast, so be careful not to burn.
- To the bowl of "crumbs", add the garlic, egg, the grated cheese, the Italian seasoning, the crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and then spread in the prepared pan.
- Bake until the loaf is set and starting to turn golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Use the parchment paper to lift the loaf out of the loaf pan and carefully flip it over onto the lined baking sheet (so the bottom is on top). Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Broil a couple minutes until the cheese is melted and golden in spots.
- Cut into pieces.