Yukon gold potatoes are incredible mashed. Sweet potatoes are incredible mashed. What is out of this world, however, is a combination of mashed sweet and Yukon gold potatoes. These mashers are the perfect amount of sweet and hearty, smooth and lumpy, creamy and healthy. Additionally, the natural flavors of both kinds of potatoes are enhances with rosemary, thyme, and sage.
While these mashers are designed as a side, they are certainly a show-stopper. They are delicious on their own, as an accompaniment to a protein, and also incredible as a “binder” in a veggie pie. Because of their fresh taste, these guys are great throughout the year with a wide variety of dishes. Trust me, you’ll love them.
Sweet Potato Mashers:
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4-6 Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces of reduced fat cream cheese
- a little bit of skim milk
- rosemary, thyme, and sage to taste (about a tablespoon of each)
- In a very large pot, add both kinds of potatoes and cover with water.
- Cook on (almost) high until both kinds of potatoes are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes. Add the cream cheese and a little bit of milk. Add the first round of spices.
- Mash until lumpy. Add more milk if necessary. Taste and adjust spices if necessary.
- Mash until desired consistency.