We spent a couple of days on Mackinac Island this summer, which is famous for its fudge. Never mind the fact that there are no cars on the island resulting with a trip back to the 1800s where horses ruled the roads and people took time to get places. I fell in love with Mackinac in an instant. We road our bikes around the entire island, waded into the waters of Lake Huron, climbed up to look through the natural rock arch, pretended to be classy and important at the Grand Hotel, spent lots of quality time with family, and....ate some of the world famous fudge. After trying many samples, my favorite fudge--hands down--came from The Murray Hotel. It was perfectly creamy without any hint of graininess. After trying each different flavor, I would boldly state, "That one was definitely my favorite," then try another and think it was better than the last. At the end though, the clear winner was their Irish Cream Coffee Fudge. So I set out on a mission to make it myself because who knows when I will have the pleasure to return to Mackinac. (That place is magical.)
Yes, friends, you read it right--Irish Cream Coffee Fudge. Think of all the reasons why you love coffee and Irish cream, then multiply that by at least 10 million. This fudge is everything you imagine it will be--creamy and dense with a hint of coffee and the subtle flavor of Irish cream. It is my new favorite dessert to bring and share, particularly over the holidays. Also, while there is actual Irish Cream involved, the alcohol cooks out so it is friendly for kids and adults alike.
One of the reasons that I love food is because it comes with memories. And I love that this Irish Cream Coffee Fudge will forever remind me of the incredible vacation we had on Mackinac Island. I hope you are able to make some memories with the fudge too.
|Combine the coffee granules with Bailey's|
|Stir the granules and Bailey's to combine|
|Melt your butter|
|Add the marshmallow cream|
|Add the Bailey's and coffee mixture|
|Let boil! And stir!|
|Still boiling and stirring|
Irish Cream Coffee Fudge:
Adapted from this recipe.
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 3 cups of sugar
- 3/4 cup of evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup of Bailey's Irish Cream
- 1 tablespoon of Starbucks' Via instant coffee (I used the medium roast)
- between 7 and 10 ounces if marshmallow cream
- 1 package of butterscotch chips
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Line an 8 x 8 or similar sized pan with nonstick tinfoil.
- In a small bowl, combine the Bailey's and Starbucks instant coffee granules. Microwave for a few seconds, then stir to completely combine.
- Grab a large nonstick saucepan and turn the heat on the stove to medium high. Melt the butter, evaporated milk, and sugar. Stir continuously and ensure that the sugar is incorporated.
- Add the marshmallow cream and continue to stir until combined.
- Add the Bailey's and coffee mixture. Continue to stir well.
- Let the mixture boil for 5 minutes. While boiling, stir occasionally.
- Once the mixture has reached a deep amber color, remove from heat and stir in the butterscotch chips and vanilla extract.
- Continue stirring until smooth, about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour into your prepared pan. Refrigerate (or place on the back porch) until completely set.
- Cut and serve!