I don’t know about you, but I love my smoothies to be the texture of a milkshake–creamy, smooth, a little stiff, and the furthest thing from liquidy. If I can (almost) eat my smoothie with a spoon, I know it is the perfect consistency. Add in a tasty combination of fruit, veggies, yogurt, and a touch of milk or juice, and one is set up for magic on your tastebuds.
The key to perfection: BANANA.
No smoothie is complete without a banana. It is the tie that binds, so to speak. The banana combines all of the other ingredients together and provides the creaminess that I love so much.
I don’t love bananas to begin with, nor am I typically looking for banana flavor in my smoothie, but for me, a smoothie isn’t a smoothie without one. Trust me.
Some favorite smoothie combinations of mine are as follows: (I try to use frozen fruit as often as possible because it also functions as ice.)
- banana, chocolate protein powder, 1 Via (Starbucks instant coffee), almond milk, ice
- spinach, pineapple, kiwi, banana, ice and water or juice
- peach, raspberry, banana, vanilla yogurt, milk
- mixed berries, peach, banana; blueberry, raspberry, or strawberry Greek yogurt, juice (guava is my favorite choice)
- spinach, mint, banana, mixed berries, peach, pineapple, Greek yogurt, milk or juice